Meeting time 11:00 – 11:45
Meeting title: NHSCFA Board Meeting
- (TT) Tom Taylor (Non-Executive Director – Chair, NHSCFA)
- (JS) Jayne Scott (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
- (AC) Alyson Coates (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
- (AF) Andrew Flanagan (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
- (GH) Gaon Hart (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
- (SF) Susan Frith (Chief Executive, NHSCFA)
- (MJB) Matthew Jordan-Boyd (Director of Finance & Corporate Governance, NHSCFA)
- (TM) Tricia Morrison (Director of Performance & Improvement, NHSCFA)
- (JR) Jane Robinson (Policy Manager, DHSC AFU)
- (AS) Ann Sturgess (Corporate Governance Manager and Board Secretary, NHSCFA)
- (GC) George Cooke (Performance, Analytics & Improvement PMO Manager, NHSCFA)
- (SS) Sonia Sousa (Governance & Assurance Assistant, NHSCFA) note taker
- (MS) Martin Spencer (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
TT welcomed everyone to the meeting and confirmed the new CEO had been selected and he was now in the process of informing the unsuccessful candidates.
Apologies were received from MS.
Declarations of interest
No new declarations of interest were made.
Minutes of Board Meeting 7.7.21
The Board agreed the minutes as a true and accurate record.
The Board reviewed the action log. Actions 118 and 123 were noted as not yet due and all others have been completed.
Q1 Performance report update (Paper 1)
TM presented the Q1 performance report. Paper was taken as read. The following key points were highlighted:
- Following feedback, the report format has been altered to include new features to improve visual impact including the financial target progress tracker
- Overall, the report reflects a solid start to the 2021/22 year with trajectories set out in Appendix B
- Results from local proactive exercises delivered are now being recorded as an additional enforcement activity
- LCFS activity is currently rated as red pending validation of figures with these due for cumulative reporting in Q2
- The change of counter fraud provision by NHS Resolutions has impacted on obtaining the financial data and will be reported as a cumulative total in Q2
- All of the work in progress is being delivered against a backdrop of significant organisational change
The Board noted the clear and concise format of the report and complemented GC for this. The Board also noted that the agency and optical fraud proposal are to be reviewed.
AP 126 TM to provide a briefing note to update the Board concerning the agency and optical fraud proposal once decisions have been taken over the next few weeks regarding the direction of travel.
JS sought clarification regarding the impact of the move by NHS Resolutions to change their counter fraud supplier. SF confirmed this change was anticipated and is not expected cause a long term risk.
JS also sought clarification that the results from the local proactive exercises will be captured separately as these were not available in previous years and stressed the importance of being clear and transparent on how we report our results. GC and TM confirmed this would be the case so performance against the LCFS enforcement target can continue to be tracked.
JR confirmed AFU will support agency fraud work where required. Noting the high response rate (98%) in respect of the Counter Fraud Functional returns JR asked about the next steps to identify the assurance model in respect of assessing these. SF confirmed NHSCFA are fully engaged with the cabinet office on this.
JR sought clarification regarding the impact on the reduction in estates target. MJB confirmed that the footprint will be reduced but the costs are likely to increase due to the higher quality of the building we are moving to.
AF asked if there is a process for identifying alternative objectives/ targets to replace those being stopped or suspended. TM confirmed there is a process in place for reviewing these via the recently formed Data Strategy Group. AP 127 TM to share the outcomes of the Data Strategy Group monthly meetings with the Board for discussion.
Review of forward planner
There were no changes made to the current forward planner.
Any other business
It was agreed to postpone the NHSCFA Risk Workshop to the 7th October at the request of one of the Board members due to unforeseen circumstances.
Review of effectiveness of meeting
All agreed that the meeting had been conducted effectively and efficiently.