NHSCFA Board meeting 2nd November 2021

Minutes of NHSCFA Board meeting - FCG-BOA-MIN - Meeting – 02.11.21

Date: 02/11/21

Meeting time 09:00 – 10:00

Meeting title: NHSCFA Board Meeting


  • (TT) Tom Taylor (Non-Executive Director – Chair, NHSCFA)
  • (JS) Jayne Scott (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (MS) Martin Spencer (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (AC) Alyson Coates (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (AF) Andrew Flanagan (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (GH) Gaon Hart (Non-Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (MJB) Matthew Jordan-Boyd (Director of Finance & Corporate Governance, NHSCFA)
  • (TM) Tricia Morrison (Director of Performance & Improvement, NHSCFA)


  • (PG) Paul Golightly (Head of DHSC AFU)
  • (NB) Nicola Burton (Head of Transformation & Change, NHSCFA)
  • (AS) Ann Sturgess (Corporate Governance Manager and Board Secretary, NHSCFA)
  • (GC) George Cooke (Performance, Analytics & Improvement PMO Manager, NHSCFA)
  • (SS) Sonia Sousa (Governance & Assurance Assistant, NHSCFA) note taker


  • (MJB) Matthew Jordan-Boyd (Director of Finance & Corporate Governance, NHSCFA)
  • (TM) Tricia Morrison (Director of Performance & Improvement, NHSCFA)


TT welcomed everyone to the meeting and confirmed he is finalising NED’s objectives and will send to AS.


Apologies were received from MJB and TM.

Declarations of interest

No new declarations of interest were made.

Minutes of Board Meeting 13.10.21

The Board agreed the minutes as a true and accurate record.

Action log

The Board reviewed the action log. Those actions remaining were either not yet due or an agenda item for the meeting.

Q2 Performance report update (Paper 1)

GC provided an overview of the key areas contained within the paper, the full content of which was noted. The Board confirmed they were assured by the content of the report. Key areas noted were the impact of data provided by NHS Resolutions, success in Fraud Champion recruitment and the conclusion of several investigation cases.

JS highlighted the need to reflect on how the LCFS enforcement target is set and how, in the future, we report on the cost of the LCFS provision compared with benefits realised. The Board supported this view and requested consideration is given identifying the level of investment by NHSCFA in supporting the LCFS function.

The Board discussed the metrics concerning enforcement and the identification of the returns from proactive exercises.

The need to have a clear engagement plan aligned to the business plan delivery was identified to maximize the prevention and deterrent message. The Board requested further details relating to the change in methodology for referrals, the rate of conversions achieved and how we are engaging externally to influence this. The Board noted the link to the ARAC action 170 “AS to request an interim position of the number of reports converted/ promoted to investigations. Update to include current trajectories and anticipated impact of the changes in the CLUE system and the activities/ deliverables in progress to support the achievement of this KPI”.

AP 136 ARAC action 170 to be brought forward to the December Board meeting and expanded to include further details on referral and conversion rates.

PG highlighted the areas of work currently rated as green are progressing to schedule but suggested a confidence assessment should be made in Q3 where the financial returns will not be known until Q3/4. PG also raised the lack of a baseline for the stakeholder satisfaction target to be measured against.

Transformation Programme (verbal update)

NB confirmed the project Board was being constituted. The Board noted JS had been approached to join the transformation project board, this supported by all.

NB provided a verbal update focusing on the following points:

  • Discussions were taking place to identify the benefits of the project and the potential negative consequences.
  • Benefits profiles for the various workstreams, taking into account the outputs from the various functional reviews are being progressed. From these, elements of change to be taken forward within divisions and teams will be identified, as well as the identification of wider transformation elements which will require decisions on direction of travel.
  • Feedback from the previous the Board meetings regarding concerns raised around the scope of the project and the resourcing has been considered.
  • A Transformation Strategy is being drafted and will be shared at the December Board meeting as requested alongside a delivery plan.
  • AP 137 NB to provide papers on the Transformation Strategy and the Delivery Plan for the next Board meeting
  • Delivery will be split into tranches and at the end of each one there will be significant changes to the organisation. This can now start to be articulated and shared with the organisation as part of our internal comms.
  • Identification of stakeholder engagement activities is a key priority with a workshop to be held to discuss this element which will be aligned to the stakeholder engagement project.
  • SMT to be briefed next week on the project board workstreams.

AP 138 NB to liaise with SS to circulate documents provided to the SMT to Board members/ attendees.

MS asked for clarification regarding the impact on delivery of the 2021/22 business plan and targets. GS confirmed the Q2 performance report captured the position. GS confirmed project management resources have been identified to support the delivery of the project. The Board noted the 2021/22 Business plan was not expected to be impacted.

MS requested clarification on how the amount of fraud identified, prevented or prosecuted as a result of the transformation project and investment bids will be captured in order to justify the additional funding we received. NB provided assurance the benefit profiles and the working due to shortly commence to identify functional costings will capture the return on investment on a quarterly basis. Impact should start being seen from the next financial year.

TT requested consideration is given to cross referencing deliverables and returns specifically linked to transformation within the 2022/23 Business Plan and future performance reports. The Board endorsed this and highlighted the importance of capturing the benefits realised from the additional investment and the impact, which could be reported against in addition to the KPIs. This would assist the Board in achieving a greater understanding of what will change as a result of the project.

TT confirmed the DHSC/ CFA accountability meeting were also discussing the delivery of the Transformation Project and the financial position of the organisation.

Review of forward planner

Two new items were added to the forward planner for the next meeting on the 15th December.

Review of effectiveness of meeting

All agreed that the meeting had been conducted effectively and efficiently.

Help us improve cfa.nhs.uk

Tell us what's happened so we can fix the problem. Please do not provide any personal, identifiable or sensitive information.


Thanks for the feedback!