NHSCFA Board meeting 6th March 2019

Minutes of NHSCFA Board meeting - FCG-BOA-MIN - Meeting – 06.03.19


Meeting date: 6.3.19

Meeting time/venue: 11:00 – 13:00 1st Floor, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4WH

Meeting title: NHSCFA Board Meeting


  • (TT)Tom Taylor (Chairperson NHSCFA)
  • (MS) Martin Spencer (Non Executive Director)
  • (CS) Professor Carl Stychin (Non Executive Director)
  • (SF) Susan Frith (Interim Chief Executive, NHSCFA)
  • (MJB) Matthew Jordan-Boyd (Director of Finance, NHSCFA)


  • (AS) Ann Sturgess (Corporate Governance Manager and Board Secretary, NHSCFA)
  • (PG) Paul Golightly (Deputy Director, DH Anti Fraud Unit representative)
  • (FM) Freedom MacKay (Senior Compliance & Complaints Officer NHSCFA) Minute Taker


  • Davina Teeluck – Staff engagement Group Observer
  1. Welcome TT
  2. Apologies TT (received from Jayne Scott)
  3. Declarations of interest
  4. Minutes from 27.2.19 to be provided on the day TT
  5. Action log TT
  6. General update from the Chair TT
  7. General Update from the NEDS MS CS
  8. Reports
  9. Finance report paper 1 MJB
  10. Operational performance update (verbal) SF
  11. Operational (investigations) report paper 2 SF
  12. Committee Updates
  13. Audit & Risk Committee papers 3, 3a & b JS
    1. Discussion regarding the process to review strategic risks by Board
  14. REMCO papers 4,4a & b MS
  15. Matters arising
  16. Business plan update SF
  17. CFA data security update (verbal) MJB
  18. CFA staff conference AS
  19. Public Meeting AS
  20. Matters to note
  21. Redacted SIA & Control Strategy Decision Log papers 5,5a & 5b SF
  22. Obtaining data sets paper 6 SF
  23. Meeting effectiveness review TT
  • Date of next meeting: 24.4.19 11:00 Skipton House

    Note: Accommodation, travel tickets & car parking must be booked in advance


Meeting date: 6 March 2019

Meeting Venue: Citygate, Newcastle

Meeting title: NHSCFA Board meeting

Attendees (Board members):

  • (TT) Tom Taylor (Chair of the NHSCFA Board)
  • (CS) Professor Carl Stychin (Non Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (MS) Martin Spencer (Non Executive Director, NHSCFA)
  • (SF) Susan Frith (Interim Chief Executive, NHSCFA)


  • (AS) Ann Sturgess (Corporate Governance Manager and Board Secretary, NHSCFA)
  • (PG) Paul Golightly (Director, Department of Health and Social Care Anti Fraud Unit )
  • (FM) Freedom Mackay (Note taker - NHSCFA)
  • (DT) Davina Teeluck (Staff Engagement Group observer)

1. Welcome

  • 1.1 TT welcomed all to the NHSCFA Board meeting.

2. Apologies

  • 2.1 (JS) Jayne Scott (Audit Committee Chair, NHSCFA), (MJB) Matthew Jordan-Boyd (Director of Finance, NHSCFA), (RH) Richard Hampton (Head of Intelligence and Crime Reduction, NHSCFA) and (RR) Head of Operations.

3. Declarations of interest

  • 3.1 TT confirmed that there were no further declarations of interest.

4. Minutes for approval

  • 4.1 The Board reviewed the minutes of the extraordinary Board meeting held on 27 February 2019 and accepted them as a true record. It was agreed that JS & MJB would be provided with a copy of the minutes to provide comments. Action point 32: JS & MJB to be provided with minutes of extraordinary Board meeting for comment.

5. Action log

  • 5.1 The Board reviewed the action log and updated accordingly.

6. Updates:

  • 6.1 Update from the Chair
    • 6.1.1 TT highlighted that RH and SF are meeting the DH & SC to discuss EU exit preparations in line with instructions to all ALBs.
    • 6.1.2 TT advised that Chairs and NEDs have been asked by the DH & SC to set objectives for 2018/19 and 2019/20. The target date for completing reviews and signing-off next year’s objectives is 31 May 2019.
    • 6.1.3 TT reported that he has been invited by the Cabinet Office to review business appointments for department ARCs. TT added that he will be presenting to the DH & SC ARC on the position of the CFA. MS suggested that he attends other REMCOs. TT agreed and highlighted that he will be observing at the government legal department committee. Action point 33: PG to enquire if it is possible for MS to attend a DHSC REMCO.
  • 6.2 NED updates
    • 6.2.1 MS reported that Nicola Burton is taking forward a management response to the CFA staff survey and is working on an action plan and its implementation.
    • 6.2.2 CS noted that he will be chairing a session at an annual international symposium on economic crime in Cambridge and will be using the event as a networking opportunity and to raise the profile of the CFA.
  • 6.3 Finance report
    • 6.3.1 SF presented the finance report on behalf of MJB and noted that with the exception of a slight change in revenue figures for estates there had been little change in the position since the last meeting.
    • 6.3.2 SF confirmed that the review of the BSA finance management is being progressed.
    • 6.3.3 The Board provided feedback on the finance report and made a number of amendments and recommendations
      • ensure consistency in total between use of minus signs and figures in brackets
      • amend language to make more robust
      • clarify why the external and internal audit fees are overspent
      • clarify what legal fees covers (include a breakdown)
      • highlight there are no concerns other than those directly reported to the ARC
    • Action point 34: Revised finance report incorporating Board feedback to be reissued by MJB

  • 6.4 Operational (performance) report
    • 6.4.1 SF updated the Board on the operational performance position. SF noted that the Q4 closure will be presented at the next Board meeting. In the meantime there were no matters to highlight.
  • 6.5 Operational (investigations) report
    • 6.5.1 SF provided an update on operational investigative activity and recent and forthcoming cases of interest in RR’s absence. SF noted that work is progressing, however there were no major issues to report.
    • 6.5.2 SF updated on the successful membership of the Government Counter Fraud Profession (GCFP).

7. Committee updates

  • 7.1 TT confirmed the ARC had been held on 14 Feb 2019. The Board agreed the revised ARC terms of reference, noted the minutes and the fact the ARC is progressing well. An additional ARC will be held on 11 March 2019 to review further progress. It was noted a review of the strategic risk register by the Board needs to be included in the Board forward plan.
  • 7.2 MS provided an update on the REMCOs and highlighted that two meetings have been held to date. MS provided the minutes from January’s REMCO along with the ToR for comment and noted that the next REMCO will be held on 7 September. PG requested that 5.1.1 of the ToR be amended from ‘appropriate’ to ‘value for money’.
  • 7.3 It was agreed that objectives for CEOs and NEDs would be set subject to the revised CEO interview date.

8. Business Plan

  • 8.1 SF confirmed that amendments had been made to the Business Plan as per the recent feedback from the Board.
  • 8.2 The Board discussed the level of detail in terms of targets and deliverables in the Business Plan that would be appropriate for publishing in the public domain. TT advised there would be a full version and a redacted public version. It was also agreed that consideration should be given to the visual presentation of the public version of the Business Plan. Action point 35: SF to circulate Business Plan with covering email advising of date for response.

9. CFA data security update

  • 9.1 SF noted that MJB is investigating a potential internal data breach risk. Action point 36: MJB to provide update on potential internal data breach risk to the Board before/at next Board meeting.

10. CFA Staff conference

  • 10.1 AS outlined the planned agenda for the CFA staff conference. The Board asked DT to encourage the SEG to raise any questions they have for the Board at the conference. It was agreed that SF would amend the agenda to reduce PG’s slot to 30 minutes and allocate the remaining 15 minutes to the panel on day 1 instead. SF confirmed TT would also be added to panel for questions at the end of day 1 Action point 37: SF to request amend staff conference agenda shows a reduction in time slot for PG by 15 mins and an increase in the time slot for the panel by 15 mins and TT to be added to panel for Q & A at the end of day 1

11. Public meeting

  • 11.1 It was agreed that AS would circulate suggested dates for a CFA Public Board meeting (around mid July) to the Board. The Board agreed that the public meeting would take place in Skipton House and that it would be held in conjunction with a routine Board meeting to make best use of time and resources. Action point 38: AS to email Board with potential CFA Board Public Board dates.

12. Redacted SIA and Control Strategy Dec log

  • 12.1 SF confirmed that the full SIA has been published to staff. SF asked for comments by the end of the week. MS reminded that caution should be taken to ensure the redacted version has any references to missing annexes etc removed as appropriate. Action point 39: Board to provide comments on redacted SIA and Control Strategy by CoP 8 March 2019.

13. Obtaining data sets

  • 13.1 Revisions and owners have been included in the revised version. SF asked that the Board let her know if they have any comments. The Board requested a 6 monthly update to monitor progress with data access obtained.
  • 13.2 TT requested that a yearly forward planner be produced for the Board to enable them to keep track of key areas of work throughout the year. Action point 40: AS to provide draft yearly Board planner for review on agenda at next Board meeting.

14. Meeting effectiveness

  • 14.1 The Board agreed that Board meetings are progressing well.

15. Next meeting

  • 15.1 24/04/19 Skipton House

Help us improve cfa.nhs.uk

Tell us what's happened so we can fix the problem. Please do not provide any personal, identifiable or sensitive information.


Thanks for the feedback!